IGBOMOTORU COMMUNITY IN SOUTHERN IJAW PROTESTS INCESSANT KILLINGS OF ITS INDIGENES BY SECURITY MEN ATTACHED TO DARLON OIL & GAS NIGERIA LIMITED
live and lead our normal life.
On the 22nd of June, 2022 there was an unprovoked invasion and attack on the Igbomotoru Community by armed military men attached to DARLON OIL & GAS NIGERIA LIMITED who came in on 6 no. gunboats and another 5 speedboats loaded with armed boys working with DARLON OIL & GAS NIGERIA LIMITED, led by Guyman Alex Bekewari shooting sporadically into the Community leaving many with grievous harm and wounds, burning down buildings and carting away cash belonging to the owners of the building thereby caused a great pandemonium with attendant chaos and cataclysm.
CHIEF DAVID LYON is the alter ego of DARLON OIL & GAS NIGERIA LIMITED who directed and allowed the said dastard invasion on our Community. DARLON OIL & GAS NIGERIA LIMITED is a pipeline surveillance contractor of the Nigerian Agip Oil Company (NAOC) under the ultimate control of Chief David Lyon who is working together with Aseimiegha A. Ofongo.
The said Aseimiegha A. Ofongo has since been dethroned as Paramount Ruler of Igbomotoru Community following his embezzlement of community funds contrary to the customs and Constitution of Igbomotoru Community.
After the said attack, on the 24th June, 2022, the Military men went back to Igbomotoru Community in a house boat stationed at Igbomotoru Community with armed military men including the said Guyman Alex Bekewari, and indigene of Igbomotoru Community and other boys under the control and payroll of Chief David Lyon in the said house boat and the military men are still stationed at
Igbomotoru Community with armed military men and the said boys mounting same who are ready to gun down any person at any time and moment guided by the said Guyman and his gang.
These military men and boys under the control of DARLON OIL & GAS NIGERIA LIMITED on the 2nd of July, 2022 went into houses of indigenes and inhabitants ransacked same in search of God knows what. They have no regard for the Almighty God in that they ransacked even the house of a resident Clergyman, the Pastor of the Baptist Church.
The desecration got to its peak when they broke into the Baptist Church Building, harassed the Pastor, tumbled the Altar upside down and desecrated the entire house of God in the name of searching for firearms which were non-existent as they found none.
Several dastardly acts of killings of indigenes of Igbomotoru Community have occurred in Igbomotoru Community in the Southern Ijaw Local Government Area of Bayelsa State. Some instances are given below:
1. Gordon Jones’ Killing
In February, 2018, Gordon Jones, an indigene of Igbomotoru was arrested and extra-judicially killed by men under the control of DARLON OIL & GAS NIGERIA LIMITED and Chief David Lyon and the Nigerian Agip Oil Company (NAOC) on the false allegation that the said Gordon Jones was involved in illegal refining of crude oil. The corpse of the said Gordon Jones is still with his said killers and the community is yet to see the corpse of Gordon Jones till date.
2. Akunama Francis Agunza’s Killing
Similar fatal fate was also the portion of Akunama Francis Agunza, also an indigene was in August, 2015 held by DARLON OIL & GAS NIGERIA LIMITED and Chief David Lyon’s workers headed by Indukakpo Ogede including Guyman Alex Bekewari, Ayibaebi Dede, Moses Dede, Godspower Okosufa and Philip Bekewari on the allegation that petroleum products were found in his commercial boat which he used to transport goods and persons. The said Akunama Francis Agunza arrested, beaten and taken away by the said gang headed by Indukakpo Ogede. Till date the said Akunama Francis Agunza is not found and as such he is presumed to be dead as even his corpse is not found. The Police got involved and the said Indukakpo Ogede and the gang was arrested and detained by the State CID and were later transferred to Zone 5 Benin but Chief David Lyon used his connections and influence to release the said Indukakpo and his gang from the Police detention. Chief David Lyon also bribed some of the family members of the said Akunama Francis Agunza with over N4,000,000.00 ( four million naira) to suppress the raising of the matter.
3. Young Adolphus Major’s Killing
Another indigene of Igbomotoru Community, Young Adolphus Major was in March 2021 also killed by the said David Lyon’s gang at Igbomotoru this year, the corpse of the said Young Adolphus Major is still lying in the mortuary.
FUTURE LIKELY EVENTS IF THE STATE GOVERNMENT AND THE SECURITY AGENTS DO NOT ACT FAST
1. There will be more killings of indigenes of Igbomotoru Community by the military aided by NAOC, DARLON OIL & GAS NIGERIA LIMITED and Chief David Lyon.
2. Molesting, raping and defiling married women, other women, girls and under-aged girls by the Military men.
3. The continued presence of the Military men have made 12 Corps Members serving in Igbomotoru Community to leave the Community leaving only 3 Corps Members who will most likely leave the Community. Before the invasion and the continued stationing of the military men these corps members have lived their quiet and peaceful lives in Igbomotoru Community going about fulfilling their primary assignment. The Corps Members were the ones doing 90% of the teaching in the schools and with their leaving, the educational system in Igbomotoru will collapse.
4. Indigenes and inhabitants of Igbomotoru Community will constantly live in fear and in nervous shock.
5. There will be more burning of houses and destruction of properties.
SUGGESTED ACTIONS TO SALVAGE THE SITUATION
It is against the above background that we suggest the following:
1. The State Government and the security agencies should take steps to remove the presence of the military men attached to DARLON OIL & GAS NIGERIA LIMITED D and also the boys working with DARLON OIL & GAS NIGERIA LIMITED in Igbomotoru Community to enable the indigenes and inhabitants of Igbomotoru live and lead our normal life.FG Begins Training of Bayelsans on A|gricultural Centre Survey
2. Nigerian Agip Oil Company should not contract to DARLON OIL & GAS NIGERIA LIMITED, the surveillance or protection of pipelines or other facilities NAOC in the land of Igbomotoru as same is the root cause of all the problems and killings in Igbomotoru Community.
3. That the Nigerian Agip Oil Company should give contract of surveillance or protection of pipelines and other facilities of NAOC in the land of Igbomotoru to only indigenes of Igbomotoru Community and not to any person not being an indigene of Igbomotoru Community.
4. That the State Government and the security agencies should investigate and bring the NAOC, DARLON OIL & GAS NIGERIA LIMITED, David Lyon and all persons working under DARLON OIL & GAS NIGERIA LIMITED to book for the various killings outlined above.
5. That DARLON OIL & GAS NIGERIA LIMITED, Chief David Lyon and NAOC should return to Igbomotoru all the corpses of Gordon Jones, Akunama Francis Agunza, and Young Adolphus Major to Igbomotoru Community for proper burial.
6. Pay or compel NAOC and DARLON OIL & GAS NIGERIA LIMITED or Chief David Lyon to pay fair and adequate compensation to the Community and the Families of the deceased and those whose buildings and properties were destroyed.
It is our belief that when the Bayelsa State Government and the Security Agencies look into these matters and consider our suggestions and take appropriate action to salvage the situation, peace and normalcy will return to Igbomotoru Community.
We are confidence that the Bayelsa State Government and the Security Agencies will act fast.